Did you know that Japan accounts for 20% of the worlds major earthquakes? Well, I experienced one first hand this morning. I was sleeping soundly in my bed when I was woken up by a lovely 7.0 earthquake. I'm not sure what I thought at first but once I figured out what was going on I thought it was kind of cool and then it just kept going and going and it started to freak me out a little. It wasn't a hard shake like you would expect or see in the movies. It was more like a wave. Like someone was rocking me. I'm not sure if it was because I was half asleep but I swear it looked like the walls were moving. And you could hear it. I can't explain what is sounded like but you could hear it.
I knew it was big but I didn't realize how big until I got up and Googled it. 7.0...really? That's the same as the one that just hit Haiti. There were sirens going off outside and of course we don't have a local news channels that's in English! I found out that it was for the Tsunami warning and they were evacuating the coastline. They later lifted the warning and said that it wasn't expected to be more than a few feet.
When we lived in our apartment I always thought if we had a Tsunami we'd be S.O.L. We lived across the street from the water then and Matt always told me we'd be fine. Not much on the coast actually sits on the ground. It's just like at the beach were the houses are lifted and you park under them. We also have a seawall surrounding the island for that exact reason. I've always thought it very ugly and takes away from the beauty of the island but very necessary.
Since the earthquake in Haiti I've found myself thinking, that could be us! I mean here we are on this little island with no way out other than a plane. I'm very thankful there were no injuries and everyone is safe!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment